Head Department Life Course and Health, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, NL
Monique Verschuren studied Human Nutrition at Wageningen University, the Netherlands, specializing in epidemiology. Throughout her career she has been involved in longitudinal population based cohort studies since 1987. She is the principal investigator of the long-running Doetinchem Cohort Study and of the MORGEN-EPIC Study (part of the international European Prospective Investigation into nutrition and Cancer (EPIC)).
The main focus of her research is on development of lifestyle (including nutrition), metabolic risk factors and chronic diseases over the life course. More recently, her research expanded into the field of healthy ageing, looking at frailty and functioning in the elderly. Monique is Chair of the section on ‘ Prevention, Epidemiology and Populations Science’ of the European Association of Preventive Cardiology (EAPC).
She contributed to the diet and lifestyle chapter of the 2012 and 2016 ‘ European Guidelines on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice’. She has co-authored over 275 international peer reviewed publications (h-index=55) and supervised 11 PhD students.
- Nooyens ACJ, van Gelder BM, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, van Boxtel MPJ, Verschuren WMM. Fish consumption, intake of fats and cognitive decline at middle-age: the Doetinchem Cohort Study. Eur J Nutr. 2017 May 9. doi: 10.1007/s00394-017-1453-8.
- European Guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice: The Sixth Joint Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and Other Societies on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice. Piepoli M, Hoes A, Agewall S et al. European Heart Journal, 2016;37:2315–2381
- Oude Griep LM, Verschuren WM, et al. Variety of fruit and vegetable consumption and 10-year incidence of coronary heart disease and stroke. Publ Health Nutr 2012;15(12):2280-6.
- Oude Griep LM, Verschuren WM, et al. Colors of fruit and vegetables and 10-year incidence of coronary heart disease. Br J Nutr 2011;106:1562-9
- Oude Griep LM, Verschuren WM, et al. Colors of fruit and vegetables and 10-year incidence of stroke.Stroke 2011;42:3190-5.
- Oude Griep LM, Verschuren WM, et al. Raw and processed fruit and vegetable consumption and 10-year stroke incidence in a population-based cohort study in the Netherlands. Eur J Clin Nutr 2011;65:791-9.
- Nooyens AC, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, van Boxtel MP, van Gelder BM, Verhagen H, Verschuren WM. Fruit and vegetable intake and cognitive decline in middle-aged men and women: the Doetinchem Cohort Study. Br J Nutr 2011;106:752-61.
- Oude Griep LM, Geleijnse JM, Kromhout D, Ocké MC, Verschuren WM. Raw and processed fruit and vegetable consumption and 10-year coronary heart disease incidence in a population-based cohort study in the Netherlands. PLoS One 2010 Oct 25;5(10):e13609.